– ‘You’re not like other children,’ said my mother. ‘And if you can’t survive in this world, you had better make a world of your own.’
– A beginning, a middle and an end is the proper way to tell a story. But I have difficulty with that method. –
– What kind of story, child?
A story with a happy ending.
There’s no such thing in all the world.
As a happy ending?
As an ending. –
– The continuous narrative of existence is a lie. There is no continuous narrative, there are lit-up moments, and the rest is dark. –
– In the fossil record of our existence, there is no trace of love. You cannot find it held in the earth’s crust, waiting to be discovered. The long bones of our ancestors show nothing of their hearts. Their last meal is sometimes preserved in peat or in ice, but their thoughts and feelings are gone. –